Have you ever been in a situation when you needed to ask someone for suggestions? In our personal and professional lives, we all need to ask for advice from the people surrounding us. If you are wondering how to do it, I’m here to help you.
In this post, I’ll share some English expressions to ask for suggestions and tips so you can do it appropriately.
“Would you please suggest to me what I should do?” or “Could you please give me some suggestions regarding this?” are used to ask for suggestions formally. However, “What do you suggest” or “What is your advice?” are used to ask for suggestions in English informally.
Are you looking for a book or a guide to help you learn and improve your English? You may try English Made Easy Volume One: A New ESL Approach: Learning English Through Pictures (Amazon Link).
Table of Contents
- 4 Tips to Politely Ask for Suggestions in English
- Formal Ways to Ask for Suggestions in General
- Informal Ways to Ask for Suggestions in General
- Formal Ways to Ask for Suggestions for Specific Matters
- Informal Ways to Ask for Suggestions for Specific Matters
- Sample Conversation: Asking for Suggestions in English
- In Conclusion
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions Related to Asking for Suggestions in English
4 Tips to Politely Ask for Suggestions in English
Yes! Knowing the appropriate words is essential to ask for suggestions in English appropriately. However, you must consider some other things while asking for advice from someone. Here are a few tips you may want to follow while asking for suggestions in English.
#1 Choose the Right Person
Not only should you keep this in mind while asking for suggestions, but you should also seriously consider it in other daily-life situations. For example, if you need to ask for permission to do something, you must first be sure if the person is authorized to permit you.
So, when you need some suggestions, you first have to be sure if the person can help you with some suggestions. Not everybody is capable of doing everything. That would not be feasible if you expect some technical guidance from a non-technical person. So, you must go to the right person to get the right advice.
#2 Be Genuine, Sincere & Polite
If you genuinely need someone’s suggestions, you must politely show them that you really value their suggestions. It will grow good interest and a sense of importance in the person who you ask for advice from. Therefore, they will seriously consider giving you good advice.
Your needs for advice have to be authentic. You should not ask for any advice just for the sake of asking. Your voice tone, body language, and attitude should be polite, positive, and sincere.
#3 Be Specific & Clear
Whenever you ask for suggestions from someone, make sure you are specific about the matter you want advice on. Try to explain the situation clearly and then ask someone to help you with some suggestions.
If you can’t make people understand your problem, there can be confusion, and as a result, they may suggest some wrong ideas. So, be sure you are precise and clear while asking for suggestions.
#4 Appreciate Their Suggestions
You should always appreciate it if someone gives you any suggestions. You can appreciate someone for their previous contribution to your life before asking for any suggestions. After giving you the advice, you again must appreciate or thank them for their endeavor.
Remember that no one is bound to give you suggestions. So, if they help you with good suggestions, you must feel blessed and be thankful to them.
Now, I’ll share some English words that can help you confidently ask for suggestions in English, both in formal and informal situations.
Formal Ways to Ask for Suggestions in General
While asking someone for suggestions in English, you must consider whether you are in a formal or informal situation. How you ask your friend’s advice will not be the same as your boss’s. Therefore, your choice of words and body language should vary depending on the level of formality of the situation.
Here are 17 English expressions that you can use while asking for suggestions in formal conditions.
- Would you please recommend something?
- Could you please advise something better?
- Do you mind if I ask for your advice?
- Would you mind if I expect your valuable suggestions?
- Would you mind giving me some advice?
- May I ask you for some suggestions?
- I would appreciate it if you could suggest a solution.
- Would it be possible for you to give me some suggestions regarding this?
- I would be thankful if you could advise me about it.
- What would you suggest I do in this situation?
- Would you please make some inputs on that?
- May I know what your thoughts are on that?
- Please help me with your precious suggestions. Your experience gives me confidence.
- Your suggestions matter a lot to me. So may I ask you to give me some advice?
- We all would appreciate any input from you.
- I was wondering if there is any suggestion from you.
- I am wondering if you can give me some advice.
Informal Ways to Ask for Suggestions in General
When you ask for suggestions from someone in an informal situation, you can talk to them casually. Your friends and family are usually the people with whom you have a casual relationship. Therefore, you don’t need to be too concerned about the choice of words while asking for suggestions from them.
However, you must be polite no matter whether you are in a formal or informal situation. Now, let’s learn some expressions that can help you appropriately ask for suggestions in English.
- Do you have any suggestions for me?
- What do you advise?
- Do you have any ideas for me?
- What are your suggestions?
- Can I get your advice on that?
- What do you recommend?
- Do you suggest something?
- What is your advice?
- Have you got any suggestions for me?
- What do you advise me to do?
- What should I do? Any suggestions?
- What’s your advice?
- What do you think I should do about this matter?
- What would you do if I were you?
- What would you suggest I do?
- Can you give me some advice? I’m just lost.
- What would be your step in this situation?
- Your every suggestion counts. Please help me with your wisdom.
Formal Ways to Ask for Suggestions for Specific Matters
In the last part of the post, we’ve seen some general expressions we can use while asking for suggestions in English. However, in our everyday lives, we are put in different situations where we need to ask for help from others. Sometimes, a suggestion can make a big difference in one’s life.
Let’s find some English expressions to ask for suggestions regarding various topics ranging from personal life to career.
- Would you please recommend a good hotel here? I’m new in the town.
- What would be the best restaurant for Indian food here?
- May I ask you about the best places to visit here?
- Could you please suggest to me the best airline to London from here?
- Would you mind if I asked you for advice regarding the trip?
- Would you please suggest which major I should select?
- I would appreciate it if you could advise me on my career path.
- Could you please suggest to me the best course to learn English?
- Would it be alright if I ask for some suggestions regarding the current project I’m working on?
- May I expect your valuable suggestions on my thesis?
Informal Ways to Ask for Suggestions for Specific Matters
We share a lot of things with our friends. we ask for their help and help them, too. Sometimes, we give them advice and ask for suggestions as well. You can speak casually while you talk to your friends or family members.
Well! Now, let’s learn some informal ways of asking for suggestions in English for specific situations.
- What is your suggestion about the main meal for the event?
- Can you suggest some beautiful places to visit here? I know you’ve been here for a long time.
- Will you suggest the most adventurous task here?
- Please suggest to us the shortcut to the port from the city.
- What’s your advice on skydiving in Arizona?
- Do you have any suggestions for visiting the longest beach in the world?
- What do you think I must do when I’m in India?
- I need your suggestions regarding my job switching decision.
- I must have your advice while selecting courses for the next semester.
- Is there any suggestion for me from you about my career?
Sample Conversation: Asking for Suggestions in English
Situation: Ella is planning a surprise birthday party for her husband and seeks suggestions from her friend, Mia, about the venue.
Ella: Hey Mia, I’m thinking of throwing a surprise birthday party for Jake next month. Do you have any suggestions for a good venue?
Mia: That sounds like a fantastic idea! Well, if you’re looking for something outdoors, the Riverside Garden is lovely this time of year. But if you prefer indoors, The Blue Lounge downtown has a great ambiance and space for parties. What do you think?
Ella: Thanks, Mia! I’ll check out both. The Riverside Garden sounds promising, especially with the weather being so nice.
Asking for suggestions is quite common in our everyday life. For example, we must interact with many people from home to the office. At times, they need suggestions, and so we do too. So, knowing how to ask for suggestions in English politely is essential.
I have shared some tips and expressions above to ask for suggestions politely in English. Learn and practice.
Thanks for reading.
10 Frequently Asked Questions Related to Asking for Suggestions in English
1. Why is it helpful to ask for suggestions in English?
Asking for suggestions can provide you with diverse perspectives and ideas that you might not have considered, leading to better decision-making.
2. What are some common phrases to ask for suggestions?
Phrases like “What do you think about…?”, “Do you have any ideas on…?”, or “Could you recommend…?” are common ways to seek suggestions.
3. Is it okay to ask for suggestions in a formal setting?
Absolutely. In formal settings, it demonstrates openness to feedback and collaboration. You might use phrases like “I’d appreciate your input on…” or “Your expertise would be valuable in this matter.”
4. How should I react if I don’t agree with a suggestion?
It’s essential to be respectful and appreciative of the input, even if you don’t agree. You can say, “That’s an interesting perspective; I’ll consider it” or “Thank you for sharing; I’ll think about it.”
5. Can I ask multiple people for suggestions on the same topic?
Yes, gathering diverse opinions can help in making a well-informed decision. However, ensure you manage the feedback effectively.
6. How can I encourage someone to give honest suggestions?
You can preface your request with phrases like “Please be candid,” or “I value your honest opinion.”
7. Is it necessary to follow through on a suggestion?
No, the decision is ultimately yours. Suggestions are inputs for consideration, not mandates.
8. How can I show appreciation for someone’s suggestions?
Simple acknowledgments like “Thank you for the suggestion” or “I appreciate your input” show gratitude.
9. Can I provide feedback on the suggestions I receive?
Yes, constructive feedback can be beneficial, especially if you’re working collaboratively. Ensure it’s given respectfully.
10. What if the suggestions I receive are contradictory?
It’s common to receive diverse opinions. Weigh the pros and cons, consider the context, and make the decision that aligns best with your objectives or values.